Sikinos is located between Ios and Folegandros. It's one of the smallest islands in the Cyclades group, covering an area of 41 square kilometers. It's also one of the least developed and retains its traditional architecture and lifestyle.
Hora is built high above the port at the edge of a sheer cliff. It's comprised of two picturesque districts, Kastro and Horio. The island's harbor is on the northeastern coast.
In summer, there are ferry links to Piraeus with daily sailings of about eight hours. The harbor, Allopronoia, is a quaint fishing village about 3.5 kilometers from Hora. Sikinos is an ideal destination for visitors seeking a tranquil escape.
According to mythology, the island is named after Sikinos, son of King Thoas of Limnos. In antiquity it was known as Oenoe because of its flourishing vineyards.
In the 10th century B.C. the island was settled by the Ionians, while in the 5th century B.C. it came under the dominion of Athens.
Sikinos's history parallels that of the other Cyclades islands, passing from Roman to Byzantine rule, then falling to the Venetians and the Turks.
Under Venetian rule, the island was part of the Duchy of Naxos.
In 1537, Sikinos was taken by the Turks; in 1829 it became a part of the newly founded modern Greek state.
In Kastro, the Pantanassa Church that was founded in 1787 and the Museum of Byzantine and Post - Byzantine Sikinos.
In Horio, the Old Olive Press and the Folklore Museum.
In Hora, the Monastery of Zoodohos Piyi and the windmills along the settlement's highest ridge.
At Episkopi, the Church of the Koimissis Theotokou, which was built over the ruins of a 3rd - century - B.C. temple dedicated to Apollo Pythios.
- Ai Yiannis
- Ai Pandeleimonas
- Ai Yoryis
A paniyiri, folk festival organized around a religious feast day, is held:
Οn August 15, following a services at Pantanassa and a procession of the Virgin's icon.
Οn the first Friday after Easter at Zoodohos Piyi, which includes a meal at the monastery. The "host" who pays for the feast is allowed to keep the icon in his home for one year.
Τhe feast of the Presentation of the Virgin Mary (Eisodia tis Theotokou) on November 21 is observed with a communal meal of fish soup on the eve of the feast day in the village square. Custom again holds that the host may keep the icon in his home for a year.
A communal meal of chickpea stew in the village square following services to observe the Sunday of Orthodoxy.
Τhe feast of the Cross (Stavros) on September 14 is observed with a communal meal on the eve of the feast day; the host is allowed to keep the icon in his home for a year.
|MUNICIPALITY OF SIKINOS||2286051238|
|CITIZENS SERVICE BUREAU (KEP)||2286051196|
|POST OFFICE-POSTAL SAVINGS||2286051239|